Tuesday, March 19, 2013

little men

i love old illustrated children's books.. and now that I have a baby I cannot wait to read to my little boy someday..

 to read stories of dragons, ships, castles and adventure.. as well as stories of virtue, honor and bravery.


 I know my mother instilled a love of reading in me.. and I spent many road trips, sunny days, and bedtimes with nose in book.. she also made me an illustration snob, and I still cannot buy a children's book unless the artistry is fine.. (*thanks mom~! a blessing and a curse)..



here is a glimpse into a few of the books for Jack's someday bookshelf..


as for me. I have had so much time to spend while nursing a baby, I have decided to refresh myself with some classics...
 
 Currently in March I have read : Heidi, Little Men, and Swiss Family Robinson. 
 
It has been eye opening to me to see how much of these little novellas bring God into the character's development... They thank God for provision, safety and health in Swiss Family Robinson.. Heidi shares about the power of forgiveness and how God does not forget you even when you turn your back on Him.. and my favorite : Little Men, teaches boys the power of honesty, virtue, and living life with gentleness as well as strength. 
 
I randomly decided to read each one of these books, haphaserdly dusting them off from my shelves.. but did not realize how much impact some of the words still have today. Sad that so many books today omit the most important lessons.

excerpt from a hymn in Heidi (Johanna Spyri) : "Today we languish , in grief and anguish, but earthly sorrow, shall fade tomorrow, after the storm the sun shines bright."
excerpt from Little Men (Louisa May Alcott):

"Will the dear lady come and see a pretty sight? It's Nat listening with all his heart to Demi telling the story of the Christ-child, like a little white angel as he is."
Mrs. Bhaer had meant to go and talk with Nat a moment before he slept, for she had found that a serious word spoken at this time often did much good. But when she stole to the nursery door, and saw Nat eagerly drinking in the words of his little friends, while Demi told the sweet and solemn story as it had been taught him, speaking softly as he sat with his beautiful eyes fixed on the tender face above them, her own filled with tears, and she went silently away, thinking to herself,–
"Demi is unconsciously helping the poor boy better than I can; I will not spoil it by a single word."
 
The murmur of the childish voice went on for a long time, as one innocent heart preached that great sermon to another, and no one hushed it. When it ceased at last, and Mrs. Bhaer went to take away the lamp, Demi was gone and Nat fast asleep, lying with his face toward the picture, as if he had already learned to love the Good Man who loved little children, and was a faithful friend to the poor. The boy's face was very placid, and as she looked at it she felt that if a single day of care and kindness had done so much, a year of patient cultivation would surely bring a grateful harvest from this neglected garden, which was already sown with the best of all seed by the little missionary in the night-gown."

No comments:

Post a Comment