Wednesday, February 27, 2013

anal . . .whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Yesterday I forayed into unknown territory.. there is nothing like being a mom to explore new sides of oneself. There i was , standing in the Target aisle searching for... dum dum dum , drumroll pleaaaaase: an ANAL thermometer!!!!!
 Now, I have been told by a nurse that this is indeed the most accurate reading for a baby with a fever, but.. really?.. truly? this poor little guy is not going to be happy if this is the first memory he remembers . . .
i would like to think that being a mom makes you an automatic ace on the health of your own child, but unfortunately, having a sick child has already taught me that I tend to lean towards the dramatic first.  "What is that rash? Is it septic? Why do his ears look so red, do his feet have a blue tinge to them?" All the semi-normal- baby- blotchies suddenly seem frightening and the next possible outbreak of scarlet fever seems moments from my doorstep. .

A good friend told me that children are JUST the beginning of learning how to pray.  Praying for the safety and the well being of my child has just turned into my second full-time job.

   All things considered, our little man is in the throes of his first cold, and already it breaks my heart to see him sniffing and sneezing his way through the hours. Its hard to watch him be so congested, being that he is still just a young lil' chap ...he looks up at me with a little furrowed brow and i cannot help but think he is saying : "Mommmmmmma, help me~!" so i plunge away with the nose-suctioner, crank up the humidifier,  and give him a couple of extra cuddles to get through the night, (and as you saw from my earlier post, "through the night" may mean approx 3 hours from now ;)

Someday, ...or 50 colds from now,.. ill look back at this and think  "Silly Hannah, that cold was just the beginning of a lifetime of worries..." So i better start memorizing : " Do not be anxious about anything but in prayer and supplication, bring your requests before God, and He shall supply all your needs.." cause no matter what we do, even as a mother, I cannot fix everything.
So little Jackson, try to get some rest, *your momma will have her eyes glued to the baby monitor , JUST in case.*

No comments:

Post a Comment